As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
When it comes to choosing a good torque wrench for automotive work, you need to select a tool that focuses on range and accuracy, with accuracy being the most important. Whether you’re dealing with your own DIY project or troubleshooting an engine for someone else, making sure loose nuts and bolts are fastened securely and accurately is incredibly important when working on an automobile. It’s important to keep in mind that different automobiles have different requirements when it comes to which type torque wrench is best-suited for them. We are going to take you through the best torque wrenches for engine work and why you should be selecting one of our choices for your next project.
What to Look For
If you are doing automotive work that involves the rebuilding of an engine or transmission, look for torque specs designed for heavy duty repairs. Narrow down your search to a torque wrench with a range between 120 and 600 ft-lbs of torque as that is what most heavy duty automotive bolts require. If you’re conducting work such as oil changes and tune-ups, you really only need a wrench that has a range anywhere from 15 to 150 ft-lbs. of torque as this would be considered very light to light-duty work.
Best Torque Wrenches for Engine Work
Precision Instruments PREC4D600F Wrench (3/4″ Dr. Split Beam Torque Wrench w/Detachable Head (200-600 Ft/Lbs.)
If you’re looking for a torque wrench that is strong enough to conduct a heavy-duty engine rebuild, look no further than the Precision Instruments PREC4D600F. With a range of 200 – 600 ft-lbs. of torque, this wrench can effectively assist you in your engine building needs. Some additional features of this torque wrench include:
- 4% accuracy when used clockwise
- Does not have to be “turned down” after use.
- Torque mechanism requires fingertip force only to adjust its durability
- All steel construction, no plastic parts or batteries, resisting against industrial fluids and abuse
- 48″ length, making it convenient to use in hard to reach places
- This wrench has few components, and all critical parts are welded together at assembly
Teng Tools 3/4 Inch Drive Torque Wrench 100-600 ft/lb. – 3492UAG-E1
This torque wrench by Teng Tools is ideal for both light-duty engine work up to the most heavy-duty engine work with a range of 100-600 ft/lb. This makes it an ideal multiuse tool, potentially preventing you from having to buy multiple torque wrenches to use for multiple different types of automotive projects. This range of torque wrenches by Teng Tools is specifically designed and trusted for vehicles. Some additional features of the Teng Tools 3/4 Inch Drive Torque Wrench include:
- Angular gauge for stretch bolt after tightening.
- 42” long, making it easy to get to hard to reach places
- +/- 4 % accuracy
- Shows scale in ft/lb.
- Conveniently reversible when used as a ratchet with a lever for easy direction changes
Performance Tool M204 100-600 ft/lbs. 3/4″ Drive Wrench with LH/RH Thread Torque Capabilities
This is another torque wrench that can handle lighter range automotive activities such as oil changes and tune-ups and is also capable of rebuilding entire engines with a range of 100-600 ft-lbs. This makes it a great investment when it comes to regularly conducting work on an automobile. Some additional features on the Performance Tool M204 include:
- ¾” drive
- Is reversible, being able to be used clockwise and counter-clockwise for convenience
- A reliable click will be able to be heard and felt when correct calibration is reached
- Can be measured by both foot-pound and newton-meters
- 4 % accuracy
- Constructed of steel and finished in chrome, making it resistant against external factors, and providing long-lasting durability
- Both left and right-hand thread torque capabilities
CDI Torque 4004MFRMH 3/4-Inch Drive Metal Handle Click Type Torque Wrench, Torque Range 80 to 400-Ft.lbs
This highly related torque wrench is ideal for the middle project range. It’s able to handle light projects as well as most heavy-duty jobs with a range of 80 to 400 ft-lbs. This makes the CDI Torque 4004MFRMH an all-around great investment for automobile-related projects. Some additional features of this torque wrench include:
- Dual scale, with both Ft. lb. and Nm scales marked on the wrench
- Calibrated dual direction for convenience
- Positive lock with spring-loaded pull-down lock ring
- Fast, accurate, with 4% accuracy
- Wrench features quick-release buttons, providing good socket retention and easy socket removal
- Includes lightly knurled handles for a tough, non-slip grip
- Constructed out of steel, making it tough against external factors
- Conveniently 34” long
Norbar 3/4 in. Square 800 Nm Industrial Adjustable Torque Wrench, 600 ft-lbs. – 12007
This torque wrench is best for both moderate to heavy-duty automobile projects with a range of 150 to 600 ft-lbs and an accuracy of 4%. The Norbar ¾” Industrial Torque Wrench is nearly 50” long, making it exceptionally convenient for hard to reach projects. Some additional features of this torque wrench include:
- Robust steel construction, providing resilience against tough working conditions
- Unique profiled cam and reaction plate, giving a more clear and accurate torque breakpoint, which reduces the possibility of over-torquing
- Easy to read scale is shielded from dust, dirt, and spray
- Integral pull-out adjustment bar – no additional torque setting tool required
- Tethering point allows the wrench to be attached to a harness
As stated above, when it comes to the best torque wrench for engine work, one of the first things to consider is what sort of engine work you plan to do. You may require a torque wrench that is purely meant for the heavy-duty work of rebuilding an engine or for lighter automotive maintenance such as conducting an oil change. Or, you may want to purchase a torque wrench that is somewhere in between. Before purchasing a torque wrench for automobile work, check the specific requirements for the parts you will be using. This is essential when it comes to making the best investment and selecting the torque wrench that is right for you and your project.